Tofu Veggie Patty
Veg-EZ Video e-Cookbook • 3m 40s
1 package extra firm tofu, drained and pressed until dry
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ yellow onion, minced
½ cup carrot, finely diced
½ cup celery, minced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 tablespoon cornstarch
¼ cup nutritional yeast
Juice of half a lime
Panko crumbs, for coating (For gluten-free, omit crumbs.)
Vegetable oil for frying
1. In a heavy skillet, heat the oil and sauté the onion, carrot, and celery for 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes.
3. In a food processor bowl, put the pressed tofu, cornstarch, and nutritional yeast and pulse for a couple of seconds.
4. Add the lime juice and pulse again, just to combine.
5. Add the sautéed vegetables and pulse a few more times, being very careful not to over process – mixture should be chunky, not smooth.
6. Cover and refrigerate the tofu-vegetable mixture for at least 30 minutes.
7. Using the same skillet in which you cooked the vegetables, add 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil and heat until the oil slides around the pan but isn’t smoking.
8. Shape the tofu mixture into half-inch thick cakes, then dredge in Panko crumbs and fry in the hot oiled pan until crispy golden.
9. Gently and carefully flip the cake and fry the other side.
Serve with Chimichurri sauce, Wasabi Mayo, Sweet Chili Sauce or your favorite condiments.
Healthy and colorful additions to these tofu cakes may include chopped spinach, minced sautéed mushrooms, parsley, diced roasted peppers or any of your favorite herbs or spices.
Up Next in Veg-EZ Video e-Cookbook
Herbalicious Sweet Potato Pizza
Makes 2 pizzas
1 12-14 inch prepared pizza crust
5 yellow onions, sliced into ¼ inch half moons
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into quarters
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary and sage, finely chopped
½ teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and fresh black pepper
Makes 3-4 sandwiches
Ingredients: 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into 1⁄4” rounds
6-8 slices whole grain bread
Thin slices of red onion
Thick slices of ripe tomato
1 avocado, sliced
Your favorite hummus as a spread
To prepare: Drop the sweet potato pieces ...
Chickpea of the Sea Sandwich
Makes about 2 cups
14 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained
1 c. cooked chickpeas, drained
½ small onion, chopped finely
1 stalk celery, chopped finely
1 T. nutritional yeast
1 t. kelp granules
½ t. flaked Nori seaweed
1 ½ t. soy sauce
1 t. rice wine vinegar
1-2 T. vegan may...