1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ package vegan meatless crumbles
1 large can San Marzano whole tomatoes
½ cup mixed fresh chopped basil and parsley
1 pound dried ziti
1. Heat the olive oil in a wide, deep skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, add the onions and sauté for a minute or two.
2. Next add the garlic and continue to sauté for one minute. Sprinkle the oregano and pepper flakes into the onion garlic mixture and stir well.
3. When you can smell the aroma of oregano, add the meatless crumbles, and stir and sauté for up to 10 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, breaking them up a bit with a wooden spoon, and continue cooking the mixture for an additional 10 minutes.
5. Add the fresh basil and parsley. Season to taste with coarse kosher salt, some freshly ground black pepper and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
6. Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Add a full tablespoon of salt and add the ziti. Cook the pasta just until al dente (according to package directions).
7. Drain the cooked pasta, do not rinse and immediately drop it right into the pan with the meat sauce. Fold to combine and heat it through for about 1 minute more.
8. Serve hot with a salad and side of garlic bread.
This sauce also makes a wonderful filling layer in lasagna or stuffed shells.
Veg crumbles can thicken a sauce when stored overnight. Simply loosen the sauce with some water ¼ cup at a time until you reach the consistency you want.